Monday, June 4, 2007

Tudor transitional French hood



Years ago I made my very first (and only) French hood. It looked alright at the time but I pulled it out and inspected it recently and the decision is – I need to make a new one. The dress it goes with is an early middle class Tudor based on a Holbein sketch. The dress itself is pretty good - I need to make it slightly bigger but the construction is not to bad considering. Well done me.


Really, the dress needs a gable headdress to go with it but given I have never made one of these before and I have extreme time constraints, I have decided to have a go at an early French hood.
To keep it more early Tudor looking I am going to try and base the shape on one of the Holbein sketches of Thomas More’s daughters as I think it will fit better with the dress itself then a later or more high court French hood.
I really like the fact that this hood feels very transitional and quite similar in shape to the gable headress.


2 comments:

Mousicles said...

Some day I will have to pick your brains for a pattern. I haven't worn my Tudor since I was Baroness and had the coronet to put on head.

I should wear it again some day... if only to show off the blackwork cuffs again. I've no idea if it still fits. Stomach has gone in and out a few times since it was made...

Miss Jimmy said...

you should! From what I recall the blackwork cuffs were stunning!

The great thing about tudor is its pretty easy to move the stomach in and out! Why do you think mine is getting a re-airing. And I do have to move it out. Thats why I recently joined weightwatchers! xx